How to Teach a Dog to Shake Hands and Turn Around In Simple Steps
Training your dog can be a long and daunting process, but with the right instructions and patience, you can teach your pup some simple behaviors that will make them the envy of all their doggy friends.
It’s enjoyable to train your dog new skills. It may be pretty amusing to see your dog do a variety of tricks for your amusement.
In this article, learn how to teach your furry companion to shake hands and turn around in just a few simple steps!
Dogs should already know the basics of training, such as “sit,” “down,” “come,” and “stay,” by the time you read this article. In such case, you should revisit the topic and instruct your dog on the basics, as they will serve as the foundation for the rest of his or her future training.
An important note before we begin
Train with an upbeat attitude at all times. Rewarding your dog with goodies and massages on the back instead of shouting at it can get a far better response from your pet. Instead, remember to be patient and optimistic so that your dog may learn and you can enjoy the process together.
If you want to avoid losing your dog’s attention during training, restrict sessions to no more than 10-15 minutes. Never correct your dog for doing the right thing; instead, praise him when he succeeds and ignore him when he doesn’t.
1. Shaking hands:
Follow these simple steps:
1. Start with your dog in a sitting position. You may need to lure him into this position with a treat.
2. Put your hand out in front of his nose, letting him sniff it.
3. Slowly bring your hand up to his paw, and say “shake.”
4. When he lifts his paw to shake, give him a treat and praise him enthusiastically.
5. Repeat this process until your dog is consistently shaking hands on cue.
6. Once your dog is reliably shaking hands, you can add the cue “turn around.” To do this, simply put your hand on his back and say “turn around.” As he turns to face you, give him a treat and praise him again. for more details keep reading…
2. Turn around
Follow these simple steps:
1. Like with any training, you should start by standing in front of your dog and attracting his interest to yourself.
2. Let him see that you’re holding something tasty before you try to feed it to him. Call for a U-turn.
3. Then, while holding your dog’s nose, create a full circle with your hand.
4. After he’s finished turning around, lavish him with praise by saying “excellent dog” and caressing his belly, and giving him a reward.
5. After a few repetitions, your dog should be able to perform the order without your guidance.
6. The command you give and the direction you lead your dog around must remain constant while training your dog to turn around (left or right).
If you want your dog to be able to perform the behavior in both directions, you may teach it with orders like “turn around,” “twirl,” “turn left,” or “turn right.”
Teaching your dog to shake hands and turn around are great tricks for any pup. With the right steps and patience, you can have your furry friend learning these behaviors in no time!
Remember to use positive reinforcement, reward them with treats when they get it right, and take frequent breaks so that your pup doesn’t become overwhelmed.
It may take a bit of practice but once you get there, both you and your pup will be proud of their accomplishments!